Caversham 100 Years On
Celebrating our Heritage 

2011     

Home   Partners   Events   Exhibitions   Local History   Gallery   Schools   Thank You   Contact Us

 

Local History

Drawn by Georgia, St Martin's Catholic Primary School

Can you add more?

  • Existing publications including material on Caversham’s history include:
    Books held at WordPlay.

    New publications are planned, subject to funding being available, drawing on the wealth of information collected during the restoration of Caversham Court Gardens.
  • Collections at the Museum of English Rural Life:
    www.reading.ac.uk/merl/collections.

    MERL also has a photographic archive including photographs of Caversham 1860-1930 for which they kindly supplied a list.
  • Caversham Then and Now: A movie showing a historical look at Caversham over 100 years morphing old photographs into their current equivalents with an amazing look at how Caversham & Reading have changed. The current photos were taken and the movie was put together by Chris Walton of Waltons Jewellers, Caversham.
            
  • Interview with Mary Kift:  A transcript of an interview with Mary Kift concerning her memoirs of the Women's Land Army dated 7 March 2006 (reference D DX1723) is available at the Museum of English Rural Life.
  • 'From Village to Suburb: Caversham 1840 to 1911' by Joan A Dils by permission of Oxoniensa Online.  Click for more details.
  • The Berkshire Record Office is the archive service for all places in the Royal County.  It is based in Reading.  It holds many unique items relating to Caversham’s history, including for its people, land and property, the River Thames, schools and charities.  Amongst the archives of Caversham institutions kept at B.R.O are those of St Peter’s and other local churches, Elliotts the joiners and the Caversham Urban District Council, which was abolished on the move to Reading in 1911.  For more information about BRO visit www.berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk.
  • The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey was the first listing of property ownership since Domesday. It gives a starting point to the hundred years of Caversham’s life that are being celebrated. Click here for more details.
  • Listed Building and Parks in the Caversham Area - click here
  • Reading Museum holds a varied collection of material found in or associated with Caversham. Photographs, postcards and paintings show Caversham in the past, whilst objects provide tangible evidence for life from prehistoric to modern times. Highlights of the collection include Palaeolithic handaxes from gravel pits in Caversham, the remains of a Roman lead baptismal font, a newel post from Caversham Court dated 1638, the wooden gavel of Caversham Urban District Council and the silver gilt key made for the 1926 opening of Caversham Bridge by the Prince of Wales. Daily life is represented by a servant’s call board, fishmonger’s price labels from J. Eighteens of Caversham, a brown paper bag from the Reading and Caversham Laundry Co Ltd and a flagon from J.Cheadle, Botanical Brewer of Caversham.
    www.readingmuseum.org.uk
  • The History of Caversham and Mill Green: In June 2000, Kathie and Al Summers produced an account of Caversham in the last millennium and The last 150 years of Mill Green. http://www.mgsl.co.uk/mg_history/h1.php
  • Historypin is working with Reading Museum this year to tell the history of Reading through the photos, stories and memories of the people of Reading. Historypin is asking 1000s of residents of all ages to share their history and help collect the most complete record of the town that has ever been created. Please see the following link for details: www.historypin.com/community-localprojects-reading
  • The Lovedays at Caversham Court: John Loveday was an antiquarian, traveller and philologist best known for the tours which he made and chronicled in Great Britain, Ireland and the Netherlands between 1728 and 1765. Thomas Loveday laid out the gardens at Caversham Court between 1660 and 1681 and the Lovedays lived at Caversham Court until the end of the eighteenth century. Sarah Markham (nee Loveday) transcribed many of the family manuscripts and this work is now being continued by her sons. www.johnlovedayofcaversham.co.uk
  • Changes in Local Rights of Way have been charted by the local Community Local Access Forum - click here.
  • Caversham Primary School joined in the project by researching local history. You can see excerpts from the school log books from 1907-1954, photos from the archive and children's projects. www.cavershamprimary.org/Community/history.aspx
  • The story behind Balmore House: The house was built in 1834 the Robinson family as told in Kate Summerscale’s  latest book, Mrs Robinson’s Disgrace: the private diary of a Victorian lady published by Bloomsbury in 2012. Click here
 
   Copyright © 2005 - 2017 Edge Impact Consulting Ltd Content Management System (EdgeImpactCMS) Version 4.0, www.edgeimpact.co.uk